by Reese Watterson
As many people know, running is a very hard sport to get into. It takes a lot of determination and confidence. Especially during COVID, it is easier to run off your feelings, instead of letting them stay there. This is a way to stay in shape and to let go of some of that emotional anxiety. Sometimes you want to start running, but don’t know how, here are some tips that could help you accomplish that:
- You shouldn’t start out trying to run as fast as you can, or as far as you can. If you do that, then you will get worn out and not be as willing to continue running. Starting off with a little bit at a time is the best. Try to start out every other day, to let yourself recover, or walk for a while in between running.
- Set a goal, and stick to it. If you allow yourself to say that you MIGHT run, you will always end up NOT running. Know exactly what you want to do, set that at a specific time, and do it, don’t be lenient. Soon you will get into a rhythm, and it won’t be as hard for you to run, both mentally and physically.
- Don’t get disappointed. This happens to many runners; they try as hard as they can, but still don’t manage to get the time that they want, then they feel like they will never get to their goal. Instead of feeling put down, and not believing in yourself, you should get back up and try again. Build up slowly and soon you will be there.
- It is always a good idea to cool down after your run. A good way to do this is to walk around for a bit until your heart rate goes down a little. This way you won’t go from being very active to doing nothing. Before and after your run it is also good to stretch. It will make your muscles looser to run and make you less sore afterward.
- One of the biggest challenges of running is getting your brain to do it. Since it is a pretty hard sport, your brain kind of gets in the way and makes it harder to get yourself to do it. Once you get in the rhythm it becomes easier, but at first, you will have to be very strict with yourself and make yourself do it. A way to make this easier could be to ask someone to remind you to do it, so that way you could have the encouragement of someone else.
Remember, whenever you get out there, you should always feel like you have accomplished something because you have! Hope these tips will help you start running!